Re: [TowerTalk] SIDE MOUNTS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SIDE MOUNTS
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:38:05 -0400

> Hello,
>
> I would like to add a side mount bracket to my Trylon 50' tower in order
> to install
> a vertical antenna. Original Trylon side mounts both light or medium are
> very heavy
> duty to my application and there is no need to have a 50-110 pound bracket
> on the side
> of the tower in order to hold 2 pound vertical antenna.
>
> Is there any company that manufactures side mounts for above purpose ?

You can build some relatively inexpensive, they are simple, and strong.

I used 1" steel angle 1/8" thick.  By themselves the angles and not all that
stong, but U-bolted to the tower legs and with a 1 1/2" steel mast U-bolted
at the outside ends mine supports a 21 foot tall Diamond 144/440 vertical
with no apparent give even in 70 MPH winds.

Not a lot of detail shows but this link should give a good idea as to what I
have up.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower3.htm

Exhaust pipe clamps work but rust quickly.  I've found the boom-to-mast
clamps of the proper size work the best. They have a cast insert that fits
the shape of the tower leg and the mast out at the end.  They are a bit more
expensive, but result in a very solid mount.

What I end up with are 2, 1" steel angles long enough to extend out from the
tower about 3'.  They are drilled to be u-bolted to two tower legs. The far
end is drilled to take a u-bolt large enough to fit around the 1 1/2" mast.
The two are mounted on the side of the tower with about 2 feet of
seperation. I'd not go less than that.
The 1 1/2" mast extends about a foot above the top angle and the antenna is
mounted on that.  On mine I'm extending the mast below the bottom angle far
enough so I can mount one of the big verticals pointed down

The mount may look light, but it's still there with the same antenna 5 years
later and many storms with winds exceeding 70 MPH. I've never had a problem
with lightning ...yet.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from here)