Re: [TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:12:30 +1200
Pat wrote :-

>At N6IJ a number of  years ago, nieve me,
suspected a power pole
having/ being a noise source, and at night, smacked
it with a hammer
at about 4 ft above ground, and saw a huge number
of small sparks all
over the pole, repeated each time I hit the
pole..scared me  (Dont do
this, possibly dangerous  as explained in the Naval
Docs from ARRL).>

During a CW contest (back in the '60s) I experienced
severe QRN from an 11kV line on a wooden pole
(loose insulator binders on old wire) located on the
road side near our house.   As a substitute for the
recommended sledge hammer, I used the back of
my axe - gave the pole a couple of good whacks -
QRN disappeared.   Back to the contest, but 20
minutes later my XYL told me there were two
policemen at the front door - a neighbour had
claimed that I had been trying to chop down a power
pole.   Took quite a few minutes to talk my way out
of that one.
73, Ken ZL1AIH