Re: [TowerTalk] 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards - the top two

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards - the top two
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:09:47 -0500

Pete Smith wrote:
> Both New Product announcements from September QST -
>
> p.41 Isotron 40/20 meter antenna that looks like a cross between a 1960's UHF
> antenna, a birdhouse,
a ceramic coil from a BC-375 and a collection of leftover flashing
material.

Really, guys, are we supposed to believe this works?

> p. 32 "Broadband Manpack Antenna and Mast from B&W" --
claiming less than 2:1 SWR 1.6-60 MHz.
Picture looks like two christmas tree light reels, a lot of hookup wire,
two three foot pieces of tubing and a humongous balun/dummy load.
Rated for 20 watts.  $545 for the antenna alone, or $1190 (!) for the
antenna and mast kit.

> The serious point of all this -- who the heck at ARRL is looking at these
> things before publication?
Whatever happened to the ARRL's holy attitude about not advertising
things that make no sense?
Oh, I forgot - new product announcements are FREE.  But how many new
hams will be duped?

> I thought the August QST was pretty good, but this ... horrific!
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> The World HF Contest Station Database
> Full details on 3165 contest stations
> at http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm

One word, ADVERTISERS!
Lessee if they've got the guts to do a couple of objective reviews.
I doubt it. They'll just continue to take the advertising money and let
unsuspecting (probably new) Hams do the beta testing.

73
R. Kevin Stover, AC0H