Re: [TowerTalk] [Yaesu] The law of diminishing returns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "John Geiger" <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Yaesu] The law of diminishing returns
From: "Don Bozarth" <drboz@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:08:05 -0700
Most of us are in the same boat with you.  I have an older "high end"
transceiver.. it's darn good, even on bad days. So here comes the new ICOM
7800 and the Yeasu FTDX-9000.... big buck radios to say the very least.  Now
the question is simply "is the cost differential offset by performance?"
The answer is no.

Were I not limited to a city lot, the place I'd spend my money is
antennas... I have a Force12 XR-5 up at 62 feet.  Can't really put up
anything bigger on this lot.  To me, antennas are to an amateur what
speakers are to an audiophile... not the place to cut corners... and
certainly the place where improvements probably yield the greatest
performance gain.

Just my $0.02

Don Bozarth
W6DRB