Re: [TowerTalk] Coax

To: 'Richard Whitekettle' <rich@pmarep.com>, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:42:15 -0700

New back to radio after long absence

::welcome back

and need advice on coax.  I am putting
a 3 element steppir on a 50 ft crank up and would like to know what coax to
use

::I'd want to know how long the whole run is from gear to antenna, not just
the height of the tower.  For me to reach my beam on my 55' tower, my cable
has to be 175' long.  RG-213/U is commonly used for even these lengths on
HF, loss is low and power handling/weathering good.

where to buy it and about how much should it cost?

::As little as possible!  I buy mil-spec (MIL-C-17) RG-213/U with date code
tags and sealed ends, on spools, for about $0.50/foot brand new military
surplus from APEX ELECTRONICS in Sun Valley, CA.  Commercial grade stuff
that's about the same such as Belden 8267 is in that price range, too.  Lots
of cable distributors out there.  I always buy by the spool because it's
impossible to know exactly how much will be needed for any job, but it's
easy to pull a cable end from a spool with a pipe shoved through it...

-WB2WIK/6