Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection - AGAIN

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection - AGAIN
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 09:33:20 -0600
Thomas,

>From your experiments the devices you tested did not prevent
lightning strikes.
Are there any devices that will prevent ALL lightning
strikes forever?
What you need is a control setup to compare to the devices
you tested.  The devices tested may or may not have reduced
the number of lightning strikes.  If the devices reduced the
number of strikes then there is an obvious benefit.

Doug/VA5DX

Martin et all,

I'm a retired Meteorologist and Space Plasma Physicist.
Early on I was a proponent of the lightning strike
prevention and/or reduction system concept, even though the
scientific explanation by the manufacturer of how the device
worked seemed flawed. Here in my local area we have two city
owned power companies. Both companies installed the
lightning strike prevention systems and though they still
took direct lightning strikes, anecdotal evidence pointed to
a reduction in lightning strike frequency. Actually early on
they took no direct lightning strikes and were convinced
that the installed system was working.

I conducted 10 years of experiments with the
porcupine/spline ball air terminals here in west central
Florida and said system did not prevent direct lightning
strikes. I used 50 foot Rohn telescoping push up masts for
the experiments jumpering the sections together for DC
continuity.

I still took a direct lightning strike every 1.5 to 2 years
with the porcupine/spline balls installed. I had one as
recently as July 19th, 2006 and published a website about it
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf60.htm .

Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF

Date: 10/1/2006