[TowerTalk] Tram Antenna Balancing

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tram Antenna Balancing
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:09:36 +0000
What have others done here to "balance" an antenna while using a single line
tram?

I put up my big 40M yagi using a two wire tram but antenna balance became an
issue even with that setup.  Go to my website, link below, and click on the
Antennas button in the upper left for piks and description.

My antenna wanted to just flip the entire two wire tram over so what we did was
to use barbell weights (2.5 and 5 pounders) attached at the appropriate place
along the boom.  Problem realized was that the attachment point was further out
than we could reach once all were at the top of the tower.  Quick thinking led
us to hang the weight off the boom using electric fence wire (strong and stiff)
and ran that loop through the end of a wood piece (1.5 x 1) which was taped
onto the boom and the end of the wood ended up at the tower.  Once all was up,
we untaped the wood and pulled the barbell along the boom to us at the tower
and then lowed it via the rope pulley used to haul up tools and haul down the
tram.  Slicker than anything.  I think there is a picture of the setup.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL