Re: [TowerTalk] coax seal

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coax seal
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:47:40 -0500
Jim,

Like you, I can tape up a connection with 33 that is positively
hermetically sealed. Many folks can't seem to however, and that is one
reason why, in the commercial world, the standard has developed to be
one layer of vinyl (the courtesy wrap), then one layer of butyl, then
one or two layers of vinyl to hold it all in. The courtesy wrap allows
the whole mess to be slit with razor knife and removed in about 20 seconds.

One nice thing about the latter method is that it is easy to use on very
irregular diameters - i.e. a 1/2" to 1-5/8" junction. That's difficult
even for me to do with just vinyl because there's not enough stretch
available. If all I have is a roll of 33, I can make it work by
carefully *tapering* the diameter with LOT'S of tape (like half a roll).

A favorite method of mine for ham work is a layer of (already mentioned)
self fusing tape - Mocap, Plysafe, or just about anything with lots of
stretch - and then a layer of casually applied vinyl for UV protection
and to make sure it stays put.

Steve K8LX