Re: [TowerTalk] Correct placement and use of Chicago Grips?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k3gm_qrp@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Correct placement and use of Chicago Grips?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:19:31 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/2007 6:25:25 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Reading the Towertalk archives, it became apparent that 3  Chicago grips
are favored during the guy tensioning and tower plumbing  process.  Do I've got
3 Klein 1613-40 grips, and 3 come-alongs.   What I can't picture is how the
equalization plate, the come-along, the grip,  and the turnbuckle all go
together without one interferring with the  other.  Can anyone explain?
Photos?

    I use one of my omnipresent nylon loop  slings used as a choker on the
anchor rod before the welded eye to  hold one end of the comealong. That should
minimize any interference.

    OTOH if you have one person pull the guy with a  moderate amount of
force, you can get enough tension on the guy to install it  in the PreForm. Do
all
three of them manually and you should have the right  combination of equal
initial tension and enough thread on the turnbuckle to be  useful. I've used
both
methods and they both work.

Cheers,
Steve       K7LXC