Re: [TowerTalk] new tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, phemby@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:29:31 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2007 4:19:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I would like to install 170 feet of Rohn 45 tower.  The  problem is that
the
specs call for guy points to be 136 feet.  My lot  is only 170 feet wide
which will give me about 96 feet on each guy  point.  Is there anyway to
elevate the guy points enough, such as  using H beam to make this work, or
increasing the size of the guy cables,  pouring additional concrete, etc, the
tower can be bracketed to the poured  concrete bond beam on a concrete block
garage at 10 feet if this would  help.

         The 80% Rohn figure  is just one scenario. Different scenarios would
have different vectors and  forces going on and you'll need an engineer to
suss it all out. There's no  reason why you can't have 60% or even 50% guys
with
the proper design.  If  you're going to get a building permit you'll need the
PE stamped package anyway  so you might as well go ahead with it. You
probably have an engineer in your  local ham club.

Cheers & GL,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH