Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Windom

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Windom
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:50:47 -0400
Guys...let me RESTATE my comments regarding the CW80,
before we drag this thread through the fields of speculation:

1) To Reid's initial question: I am presently using a cw80
with an AT500.  Works fine. Feedline length is probably 175'.
I have 12 clip on ferrites on the feeder, six where it comes
to ground under the antenna, and 6 more at the house entrance.

2) I have used both cw80 and cw160 with an AT500, with a
756pro, with an ic4kl, and a pw1.  All have auto tuners.
All worked fine, for over 15 years.  I DID have to play with
the xmsn line length, on the cw160, before I discovered the value
of the clip-on ferrites.

3) All of my antennas were in trees, at heights not less than
60', except for my present one, which I'm experimenting with, as
a sloper.  The cw160 was at 130'.

4) For a better understanding of off-center-fed dipoles (of which
the carolina windom is a variant)... see the Yankee Clipper Contest
Club website, and look for the white paper on OCF dipoles.  You could
also refer to VE2CV's articles in QST, 15 years ago, on the same topic.

5) The big variable between installations is height.  Feedline length
is right behind it.

n2ea

Jim Jarvis, President
The Morse Group, LLC
732 548 5573 office
www.themorsegroup.net
results@themorsegroup.net

Strategic Planning and Success Strategies
for Sales Professionals and Entrepreneurs.

Sales Excellence Series beginning October 2, 2007