Re: [TowerTalk] Alternative To Rohn Anti-Climb Sections

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com,"Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alternative To Rohn Anti-Climb Sections
From: dtalk-ml@prairienet.org
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> You sure that was chicken wire? I used to raise those critters in another
> life, long , long, ago. Chicken wire is a relatively small gage has just
> small enough openings baby chicks can't get through it which makes them
> about 1" and very easy to climb, at least for the dertermined.  There is
> another wire mesh that is much heavier with about 1/4" openings/grid and
> that stuff would be very difficult to climb.

Hello, Roger -- that's "hardware cloth", which would certainly work, but
is quite a bit more expensive than chicken wire, and maybe harder to
work with.  I've seen hardware cloth in 1/4" and 1/2" grids.  And you're
right, it's definitely not climb-able, at least without hooks and spikes
or something.

They both come in all sorts of widths; I just bought a roll of 4' x 150'
chicken wire.  The store calls it "hex netting" or "poultry netting" ...
they really mean "chicken wire".  Silly city kids. :).

I agree with you; I'd choose the hardware cloth for this application.

Cheers ...
David Talkington
KE7EOG

dtalk-ml@prairienet.org