Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite, or choke baluns?

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite, or choke baluns?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:32:24 EST
Not to get into am argument about the best balun, I agree that DX
Engineering has a great balun. BUT, there are certainly other ferrite
choke/coax  baluns
that work well and also are worth owning:

Some that come to mind are the Cal-Av EB1, (1.8 - 60MHZ,, $49, EB2, (10 -
60MHz) $49, TL3 (1.8 - 60MHz), $79, Force 12 B1 and B1/S similar to EB1 and
EB2,
 $59, Hygain BN4000B (forgot the freq rating) $99.

All of these are made with ferrite beads over coax. The EB1 is probably the
best buy if 160m is to be used with it.

73,
Gerald Williamson K5GW
Texas Towers

In a message dated 1/18/2008 9:07:57 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jim@audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On Fri,  18 Jan 2008 07:47:16 -0500, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>Some one used to  make a "choke Balun. I belive it was just a series of
>ferrite beads  over coax inside PVC pipe, but they seemed to work well.  As
>recall they covered 1.8 through the 50 MHz bands.

"Cover" is  quite loose. They are ADVERTISED to work on all bands, but they
don't work  very well, and they are very sensitive to feedline length.

>Any one  know who made them and if they are still available, or if not how
>many  beads of what mix over what size coax?

For about $20 in toroids, you  can BUILD a choke balun that is VASTLY
superior to anything you can buy  for less than $100. The only choke balun
worth buying is made by DX  Engineering, and they are big, heavy, and cost
about $130. They are  EXCELLENT, but FAR too heavy to use at the feedpoint of
my dipole. :)

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCCC-CoaxChokesPPT.pdf