Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison

To: StellarCAT <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:26:33 -0800

StellarCAT wrote:
> Interesting.... however using EZNEC and their provided 4 SQ
> model I see different results
> then what your suggesting here... a DIPOLE at 136' (what I have)
> out performs a 4 SQ for
> all angles down to about 4 degrees! And not by a small amount.
> Possibly their model is not
> correct? or I am not using it properly. In practice this is what
> I have found - the dipole keeps
> up with 4 sq's often. It's only on LP and very long stuff that

EZNEC certainly doesn't model my QTH correctly.  For DX, a
dipole at 115 feet is interchangeable with a single 1/4 wave vertical
in terms of transmitted signal strength.  For lower dipoles, the
vertical is always better.  For receiving, the dipole at any height
is nearly always better than the vertical.  But EZNEC doesn't even
claim to model receiving.

Rick N6RK