Re: [TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers
From: jimjarvis@optonline.net
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:56:17 +0000 (GMT)
Comments bottom-postedFrom: "Arthur Trampler" <atrampler@att.net>Subject:
[TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers<snip>From what I understand part of the
strength of a guyed tower is that torsional movement is converted into down
force by the guy wires tightening as they attempt to cover a greater distance
(as the tower twists).With a rotating guyed tower, is there some sort of
locking mechanism between the bearings and tower, at least in a given "parked"
position to allow this phenomenon to occur?  Otherwise it would seem that this
benefit is lost as the guys are not attached to the tower, but to the bearing
rings.Help me out...maybe the difference in strength is inconsequential or
mitigated by other factors.Art, K?RO-0-The strength of the tower is the
strength of the tower, based on the materials and design.  LOADING on the tower
comes from mass and surface area, as the wind works on the structure.   Loads
are transferred into vertical compression by the guy system.  Torsional loading
on a triangular tower indeed does add to the down force somewhat, but this is
quite small compared to the other loads.   Thus, a tower which rotates inside a
ring-coupled guy system is simply relieved of whatever torsion loading might
otherwise be imposed upon it.   It is neither stronger nor weaker as a
result.Make sense?n2ea