[TowerTalk] Ice, Wind and Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ice, Wind and Antennas
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:46:16 -0600
I thought I would share some information regarding a special paint I have been
using for a couple of years.  It is Wearlon Super F1, icephobic paint.

It is made specifically so that ice will not build up on the surface.  My
experience is that although I did not do the very best job of applying the
paint, it works well.   It has a high content of silicone.  If ice starts to
form, it slides off pretty quickly.

The elements and the end pieces of the boom for my 40M yagi are painted with
this stuff and this antenna accumulates very little ice as compared to the rest
of the yagi antennas.  Although my antennas are all designed to take well over
an inch of radial ice without trusses and wind, all it takes is an inch of
radial ice and a 60 MPH wind and there are few antennas that will survive.

The Wearlon Super F1 costs $189.00 per gallon and a gallon would supposedly
cover 220 SF (with no overspray).  I'll answer any questions about it as best I
can but if you are interested in buying some, you should call Nick Patenaude at
Ecological Coatings in Clifton Park, NY.  His number is 518-664-3468.  He is a
distributor and is very helpful.

Stan, K5GO
www.k5go.com