Re: [TowerTalk] Using a dip meter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using a dip meter
From: "Jeff Carter" <towertalk@hidden-valley.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:05:21 -0400
I've been following this thread with interest, largely because I'm
ignorant about the utility of these meters.  Jim, your description
fits with what I had concluded about them, that being if you had
pretty much anything else to use, it would be better.  I understand
how they work but using a GDO always seemed pointless.

I have seen these things on eBay for years, but I still cannot think
of a single instance where it would be of more utility than more
modern antenna tools, so I never bought one.

My question is, am I wrong?  Is there some situation I have not yet
encountered where only a GDO will do?  Jim, you said that for some
systems it's convenient.  I can't picture one for the life of me.

I usually use a HP network analyzer for general things, and the little
Autek boxes for spot checks.

Should I go buy one?  Every so often one will turn up with a complete
set of coils...does anybody use one for general purposes?  If so,
could you talk about why you prefer it?  I want to know if I'm missing
something.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff/KD4RBG