Re: [TowerTalk] PAN CAKE ANTENNA -TAK-ANTENNA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PAN CAKE ANTENNA -TAK-ANTENNA
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:56:30 -0700

That's pretty much been my impression of this antenna.  It generally
gets rave reviews on eHam.net (doesn't everything?), but all you have to
do is look at it to see a few obvious things:

1.  Three feet of linear element is going to have a VERY low radiation
resistance.
2.  The spiral ends equate to lots of inductance and lots of distributed
capacitance, none of which radiates effectively.
3.  Direct coax feed without a balun or shield choke is a dead give-away
for dependency upon feedline radiation.

It's merely an expensive tank circuit at the end of a radiating
feedline.  It would be interesting to see someone who owns one replace
it with a traditional coil and capacitor and compare the performance, or
as you say simply test it with and without a good common mode choke.

Dave  AB7E