Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 19:54:03 +0000
Let me toss this out for consideration. I too have the situation where I need
a large hole for an LM-470 base.

I thought about contacting a "Tree Planter" and getting him to use his big
Auger to bore the hole for the base. I don't think it makes much difference
if the hole is round or square as long as the same amount of concrete is
used.

Or am I totally off base here ??

73, Dick, W1KSZ

> Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:46:02 -0400> From: kc2pih@gmail.com> To:
> towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower
> footing> > Hi,> > I am in the process of trying to find a excavator to dig
> the footing> for my HDX572 tower. To the 5 people I've talked to so far,
> this> 5x5x8 hole is difficult. I think mostly because none of them have a>
> small enough backhoe. Most of them want to dig a big hole and have me> pour
> into a concrete form and backfill later.> > They claim they can backfill and
> bring the soil back into> "undisturbed" condition around the footing by
> compaction - even> claiming that this might be more reliable than just
> digging a hole> just to the size I need.> > I am lining a couple people up
> for estimates, but I think this already> sounds like the are trying to wring
> a couple days of work out of this> - maybe I am wrong here. I have even have
> one person decline giving an> estimate altogether. Should this be an easy
> task for a skilled person>
 to dig on a mini-excavator? I was told that if the hole is deeper than> 4',
that no person can enter it unless walls are built up.> > Any ideas?> > -Scott,