Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:33:56 -0700
RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:
> If my math is correct (only took off the left shoe), the LM-470 requires
> a base
> 3.5' X 3.5' X 7.5'. that equals a 4' diameter by 7.5' deep hole.
> Now I need to talk to the Tower folks and see if they would sign off on
> that.

If volume is the relevant thing, yes.

As a practical matter, the holes I've seen drilled have always been much
deeper than in diameter.  In your example, perhaps 3 ft in diameter by
13 feet deep, or 2.5 ft by 19-20 ft.

An interesting question.. what if you were just to drill/dig a 2 foot
diameter hole and bury some length of tower segments, in either dirt or
concrete?  If you do it like telephone poles, they bury 15-20% of the
overall length and they do it in plain old dirt.