Re: [TowerTalk] antenna analyzers

To: "'Gene Smar'" <ersmar@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, "'Rob Atkinson'" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna analyzers
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:56:23 -0500
My MFJ 259B has provision for charging the batteries [internal jumper]. I
use the trick Gene mentions to minimize drain when the unit is stored as
well as to minimize drain from accidental turn on when it is being moved
point-to-point.

The charging voltage needs to be close to 15 vdc rather than the customary
12 or 13 vdc supplied by many wall warts. I can't remember the last time I
replaced the rechargeable batteries, but it was many, many charges ago.

The useful running time is not longer than when you use non-rechargeable
batteries, but you don't need to mess with the back plate on the unit to
restore the function. [This does not solve the problem when it runs out of
charge at 200 feet above ground, but then not many folks really want to
install new batteries at that height either].

Tod, K0TO