Re: [TowerTalk] 1/2 wave vertical vs 1/2 wave horizontal dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/2 wave vertical vs 1/2 wave horizontal dipole
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 08:42:49 -0400
I wasn't going to comment, but some of the responses have been a bit
afield,
in my view.   so, here goes:

First,  it depends on height above ground, in both cases.    Higher
is better,
in general.

Second, it depends on whether you want to work distant DX, or
stateside stations.
The vertical will favor stations outside 3k miles, while the
horizontal will favor those
within that radius.   By 'favor',  I mean that on 40m, locals will be
louder on the horizontal
than the vertical.

As an example, I used to work a VR6 regularly on 40 cw.   By
regularly, I mean 40-50 times
in a year, over several years, on greyline.  My antennas were a
dipole @ 50',  and a 40m groundplane
with its base @ 50', and 4 radials drooping down through tree
branches.    His antenna was a dipole strung
between two buildings, at 100'+.    On my dipole, he was regularly s3
or s4.  On the vertical, he was regularly
s6 or s7, and sometimes s9.    The locals, by comparison, were 20
over 9 on the dipole, and s7 on
the vertical.   Huge difference in the ability to hear.

Conclusion:  vertical angle effects are the reason to make the choice.

Third,  how to feed the vertical, and efficiency are factors.

The vertical dipole COULD be end-fed, against a radial screen.   The
literature indicates that it will not
benefit from that radial screen as much as a 1/4 wave vertical would,
and that peak earth losses will occur
outside a 1/4 wave radial system.    It could also be fed in the
center, and elevated, without a ground screen.

In my view, the elevated vertical is preferable, unless you're going
to copper-plate the earth beneath it,
and assuming you have trees of the proper size.    You can do one of
two things to manage the feed:
dress the coax away from the antenna horizontally for  some
distance,  or, use coax for the lower half of the
antenna using a combination of a braid-sleeve on the outside, and RF
common mode chokes on the feeder.

You can also do a variant... make a 40m groundplane with 3 or 4
radials, which droop severely, forming a
skirt around the coax.   It should stand off by 1' or more at their
lower end.  Definitely need an RFC at the
bottom of this one!

In any case, by removing the vertical from earth, you eliminate the
direct IR losses inherent in the on-ground
series-fed situation.   You will still induce current in the earth
immediately below the antenna, and this will
depend on how close to earth the bottom of the antenna lies.
Intuitively, the vertical dipole will have less
loss than a GP configuration, since the null off its end is aimed at
earth.

In terms of vertical angle beam formation, and what are called
'pseudo brewster angle' effects, from the
dielectric earth,  when you raise the antenna, the important region
moves OUT from the antenna, and you
have less ability to control it.   Or no ability to control it.    If
you're worried about very, very low angle signals,
an onground quarter wave with 120 radials is the way to go.

As a practical matter, though,  I favor halfwave verticals for the
low bands, where I can make them.
Elevated groundplanes are next in preference, where I can put the
feedpoint up 1/4 wave.    But they work
respectably with as little as 6-10' radial elevation.  (depends on
your earth conductivity).

I use common mode chokes on all feedlines, regardless of the
antenna.   You must, with verticals.

Conclusion:  dipole fed vertical halfwave outperforms series fed
vertical halfwave, and ground planes of equal heights.

The situation is pretty much the same for 20m.   Dominated by
vertical arrival angle of signals, and possibly
a bit more volatile in its changes.

N2EA

Jim Jarvis, President
Corporate Coach