Re: [TowerTalk] New foundation or old?

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New foundation or old?
From: "Eugene Jensen" <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:54:29 -0500
Greg, No problem except make sure the Epoxy in NOT EXPIRED. Hilti is a good
source and also can supply bolts though an industrial suppler.
www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/adansel/adas_main.jsp
About bolt size:  larger and longer doesn't always relate to more strength;
I am not going into a long expanded explanation, but go back to the original
plans and if you can install similar size and length bolts, and of course,
use the correct strength nuts.  Just put them down in the same pattern, and
you will be good to go.  One mistake novice's make is not to get the correct
equipment for boring into the cement.  When you get into large size holes,
you need a good rotary hammer, with the correct bit sometimes you will need
a rebar cutter to make your hole.  You can usually rent them from Home Depot
or the Tool rental places.  I work in the high voltage electrical industry,
and we have anchored lighting poles down that would surpass a great deal of
amateur radio equipment using nothing more than the epoxy bolt system.
Since we, in some cases, have to pass a engineering rating, we actually have
a testing company come out, they hook on to them, and apply the correct
pulling force and I have only seen two failures and in both cases, it was
due to very old and extremely questionable concrete.  I wish you the best of
success with your project.  Eugene Jensen K2QWD