[TowerTalk] Lossy Traps (long)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lossy Traps (long)
From: Tom-W3FRG <w3frg1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:22:37 -0400
I used a Fluke 80T-150U temperature probe, connected to a Fluke handheld
DVM to measure temperature. All measurements are in degrees Fahrenheit.
During the experiments, I measured temperature at three locations -
the strap connected to the 10 meter capacitor on the front driven
element; the boom, just behind the front driven element; and the PL-259
connecting the feedline to the supplied KLM balun.

[lengthy measurement details and data omitted; conclusions of measurements
follow]

It would be most interesting to have access to this measurement detail to
see how the ambient temperatures were handled during the measurement
sequence. With the antenna only 30" off the blacktop driveway, and the sun
at mid day (?), I'd expect some corrections to be in order ?? Or was the
antenna shaded from direct sun ??
Probably one method would have been to have T/Cs hard mounted and
electronically scaned during the testing sequence, eliminating to a degree,
any outside temperature influence (sun), and pre and post temps could be
monitored and accounted for.

Tom W3FRG