Re: [TowerTalk] why grease ?

To: <k3cc@verizon.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] why grease ?
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:55:00 -0500
Hi Skip

 Oh yeah the red cloud of smoke covered South Bethlehem was a common site. The
Haze from the hill to Hill bridge was a site to behold at times.
 So  you experienced  a problem and  like a  true armature you developed a FIX.

 This is  Akin to Rohn dose not have a Zerk fitting means it's  not designed to
operate in a lubricated environment. This is a notion I can not subscribed to.
Heck almost all NEW Vehicles  that are manufactured with pivot wear points have
no means to lubricate them.. But   All the aftermarket  replacement parts have
that capability.
IMHO the fact that a Manufacture dose not include that option ( it's a COST
thing ) and 95% of all replacement parts HAVE that ability  thus dis proving
the myth if the Manufacture made it that way there designed to operate that
way... HummmmmmBugggggg  .

 Well I for one am always striving to make thing better, antenns have  a higher
 degree of survivability,  rotors increase there  longevity, connectors stay
dry and tight   and in the majority of these quests  I have added to  or
deviated from the original design to achieve that goal. Now that dose not mean
SKIMPING it means to  add to or increase the MIN spec. insert stiffening
tubing, use void fill compounds and heat shrink, replace original cad plated
hardware with SS hardwear add step start or studder circuits to big load rotors
increase if possible the min. standers of guy size or distance from base when
planing a tower installation and the list go's on and on.

So a    Rule or the Holey grail  " Factory Catalog"  are a BASE line a
"minimum"  specification to adhere to .

 73's Wayne W3EA

    > Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:45:47 -0500> From: k3cc@verizon.net> To:
towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: [TowerTalk] why grease ?> > When I first was
licensed I lived in Bethlehem, PA, a steel town. I had a > 60 ft tower on top
of our warehouse with VHF/UHF antennas. After the first > year I had rotor
problems or so I thought. I was the thrust bearing loaded > up with red and
black dust from the steel company that had harden.> At first I thought about
lubing the bearing but that would only attract more > dust. So I added a CV
(constant velocity) boot over top to prevent dust and > water from entering the
bearing.> This worked and I never had problems again even after adding a tri
band > yagi. It also eliminated the problem with water freezing in the
bearing.> My choice was out of necessity and was a fix for a problem. This may
have > been a very unique situation due to our location 2 blocks from the Open
> Hearth,Blast furnaces and cinder plant.> > de Skip K3CC ex K3ZTJ > >
See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your
life.