[TowerTalk] fiberglass masts

To: "T talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] fiberglass masts
From: "Art Trampler" <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:08:14 -0600
This is an antenna support question...so hopefully it is close enough to a
tower to allow a little discussion!

I have been thinking about constructing an antenna support of military surplus
48" fiberglass masts.  I would like to get up close to 70', though, both for an
inverted vee and to run a wire vertical up it.

Here is what I am considering: using 3 of the masts, joined with U-bolts around
(or inside?) of 6" or 8" diameter PVC pipe, sliced into 3" or 4" pieces.  I
would rather use u-bolts than drill/bolt through so as not to weaken the
fiberglass, and also to make keeping things even a bit easier.

I would guy this at two, or if necessary three levels with dacron rope.

So am I crazy?  Or is there a real structural advantage to this over a single,
guyed mast such as the one sold by MFJ?

For the vertical, I am playing with the design for the relay-switched dipole
that was in QST a few months ago, using ladder line.  With such a design I
could put relays for each band (two each on 40 and 80/75) for full coverage
with very little, or without compromise.  Perhaps I could later add
base-loading for 160, or a combination of top loading/capacity hat switched
in/out and something at the base.  The fiberglass would lend itself to this,
and to supporting an inverted vee.

Feedback is appreciate, and since this isn't a true tower (of steel or
aluminum), please feel free to contact me directly.

Art, KØRO
atrampler@att.net