To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 72, Issue 43
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:09:36 -0700
Donald
Thats a lot of questions. I will attempt to reply to the ones I know the
answers too. More experts on this list may have more opinions. I am installing
a similar tower right now, so this is my experience being shared.

1) not sure if you CAN straighten it if the foundation has tilted. If you try
to force it with guy wires, you will destroy that 25G tower, put undue stresses
in the lower sections below your guys, esp above the concrete. That cubic yard
of concrete, if it has shifted, is not going to respond to the guys tension
before the tower deforms. It might be worthwhile to just cut it off the base,
and either make a new concrete foundation adjacent to it, or try place a pier
pin anchor on yours, by drilling to place studs.

2) Yes, if you can replace it with the thrust bearing flat section, better. You
can stand on the 25AG rungs just as well, when working up at the antenna.

3) 30' guy horizontal spacing is about the minimum you'd want for that tall a
tower. It loads the tower with a lot of down thrust. Normally try to get the
guy anchors out at 70-75% of the height at minimum. Your upper guy will be
somewhere below the top probably, like 42 feet. The lower guy will be down in
the 20-25' range I suppose. That heavy pipe, will it withstand the constant 800
lbs of tension that you need for each pair of guys on it, as well as the
additional wind-driven tension? You need structural analysis before you can
decide this. You need to know what the wind load of your planned antennas will
be, as well as the max wind and ice loading that your county experiences. You
get this on the web. Mine is 75 MPH and 10 sq ft of aluminum up top, with
little icing.

I am finishing up a 25G install at QTH this weekend, and it is 46 feet tall. It
has 2 sets of guys, out at 32-33 feet from the base. I used Hubble Bust-type
anchor rods and plates, which are sunk 6 feet into a diagonal hole 45 deg. With
good soil, they are rated for up to 10,000 lbs, and are only $25 an anchor.
Power company uses them for guying poles. I trusted these, but using pipe and
concrete like you are suggesting, hmmm, you better have an expert comment on
this. I would be afraid of having the concrete shift for those too, in the
wind, esp if your ground is that soft. Best to do a real concrete dead load
deep in the ground with the force pulling directly in line with the anchor rod
(not pipe).

4) sorry no comment on the coax.