Re: [TowerTalk] 75 OHM cable

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 OHM cable
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:47:19 -0800
It's great stuff but requires the use of crimp connectors.  You can't solder to
the aluminum braid conductors.

This is the "pole to pole" cable that most cable TV service providers use if
they are not using 75 Ohm hardline.  It's also often used in rural residential
drops, where the run is too long for RG6 cables (too lossy).  It's very strong,
since it has to support itself on spans of hundreds of feet between poles, even
when covered with ice.  It has a messenger cable molded into it, and the coax
"hangs" from the messenger; this particular cable has a .109" steel messenger
that can support 1800 lbs!

Nothing wrong with this cable at all, other than it's kind of "stiff" and you
need to use crimp connectors.

I've used it plenty of times.

WB2WIK/6