Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator specs?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator specs?
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 03:48:01 -0000

Steve -

I saw some replies, but am not sure anyone fully explained the reason why
lb-ins is the same as in-lbs.  Here's why:

When you see some numerical result with two concatenated units, like
inch-pounds, it just means that some distance in inches has been multiplied
by some force in pounds.  For example, a 3 pound force exerted at a distance
one foot would provide 3 x 12, or 36 in-lbs of torque.  Or 36 lb-inches of
torque.  Same thing.  Convention usually defined what order the units are
used in the result, e.g., for torque, the distance usually comes first, but
it really makes no difference.

Another similar unit of measurement is KW-HR.  Your electric company could
describe it as HR-KW, but you would still have the identical bill!

73, Bob - W3YY