Re: [TowerTalk] trees as antennas

To: "'Dan Zimmerman N3OX'" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees as antennas
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:31:43 -0500
You can easily see the effect of a tree (such as a tall Pine) if you drop a
vertical wire a few feet from the tree.  A common scenario is for an
Inverted L or a top loaded Tee, where the vertical wire is not very far from
the tree.  There is a noticeable effect on resonance, and bandwidth,
implying a lowering of the Q-factor of the antenna.

I have used such antennas for years and they work fine, but I have never
done any scientific testing to try to determine if there is any signal
degradation compared to a pristine vertical out in an open field.

I would imagine that there is a difference, but how much of a difference I
can't say.

That said, I would not recommend feeding the tree rather than the wire.

1138 Waters Edge Circle - Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (office) - 318-393-3289 (cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics