Re: [TowerTalk] Sommer webpage gone

To: Hans Oortman 1 <pa3arw@euronet.nl>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sommer webpage gone
From: Jim Warner <jim@itristar.com>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 17:31:18 -0500
Your right Hans.  The ruggedized mechanical design should last a life
time.  There's no LC traps holding an unconventional secret recipe
and place on the element to worry about. As long as you keep a Sommer
dimensioned right, only a cataclysmic event could
render it scrap.
 I have an inherited 708 that fell down and went boom into my buddies
garage roof. Did more damage to the roof than antenna.
Totally rebuildable. The boom channels are STD 1x2  square tube. Some of
these antennas were assembled with metric sized tubing.
My brief search has produced few and expensive sources for metric tube
here in the states. Unless I can come up with a comparably
priced source for metric, I'll chuck up the insulators,(or make new) to
accept standard sized tube.
Jim WA9Z