Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower install - help request

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower install - help request
From: Randy <randy@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:41:16 -0400
AFAIK, it is *crucial* to do it as specified with regard to "undisturbed
soil". In other words, they do not want you to dig a hole,
form it up, backfill behind it and pour. They want a plain ol' hole in
the dirt, with the concrete/rebar in it. And, that may be where
the biggest danger lies, digging an 8' deep hole, straight down. I was
lucky, and was able to do it with a Terra Mite mini-backhoe.
Barely deep enough, though. Obviously, you'd need some form of form to
protect you if you were hand digging it.
Mike, K4CVL had his hand-dug and may be able to offer advice on the
temporary "forms" for protection.
My only comments on the rebar: the drawing seems to show one fewer
"hoop" than is indicated in the tables....?
And, I "X"'ed all 4 sides with pieces 4' pieces of rebar from Home Depot
for rigidity while handling...
I'd gladly talk to you on the phone, if I had any more advice than that
to offer.
Good luck with the project.

73,
Randy