Re: [TowerTalk] man lifts

To: N4NW <n4nw@n4nw.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] man lifts
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 06:29:55 -0700
N4NW wrote:
> Yes, but note that the idiot was trying to move the thing with the
> boom extended!

I used to use these things to hold up special effects equipment or lights.

Moving with the boom up isn't always idiotic. Lots of these have two
basic "drive speed modes" (rabbit and turtle on the labels).  On the
ones I've used, the "driving" mode is disabled in high speed mode, and
on others, even low speed mode is disabled when the boom is in certain
positions. It's not unusual to be in low speed mode and "creep" it
around a bit to get the angle just right.  If you're in a big concrete
parking lot, it's a bit *exciting* when the boom bounces around as you
creep (especially if the driving control joystick is a bit too
"bang-bang" and not nice proportional control), but I don't think it's
inherently unsafe.

Like a chainsaw.. it's a tool.  You can do dangerous things with it.
You can use good judgement, too.