[TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com, dx-is@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals
From: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:13:55 -0700 (PDT)
Most of the discussion I see about verticals assumes ground mounting, and I
guess that it is because of ease of installation.  However, ground mounting
also requires an extensive radial system.  How do ground mounted verticals
compare in performance to roof mounted verticals, say at a height of 20 feet or
so, with 4 quarter wave radials per band?

Are most verticals ground mounted because they also perform better with such a
mount?  Or will a roof mounted vertical with the 1/4 wave radials be an equal
or even better performer?

73s John AA5JG