Re: [TowerTalk] Idiom Press RotorCard DXA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Idiom Press RotorCard DXA
From: "Rob Locher W7GH" <rob@idiompress.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:36:41 -0800
> Anyone using the Idiom Press RotorCard DXA know how to make it accept
> the rotation speed that's set on the control box?
> Mine turns the beam at the high speed rate when I use it via the
> computer. The beam turns at whatever rate is set, if turned via the
> rocker switch on the box..

Hi Mike,

The RotorCard was designed to ignore the speed control on the front panel,
which is only needed for manual control of the rotator.  The RotorCard
starts the rotation at slow speed, and then speeds up to fast speed.
Similarly, when the rotator nears the target bearing the RotorCard goes to
slow speed for a bit before stopping.  Because the RotorCard accelerates
and decelerates gradually in two steps, the wear and tear on the rotator,
mast, and beam is no more than if the rotator went at slow speed the whole
way.  The user benefits from the microprocessor control of the speed by
not having to wait as long for the rotator to turn.

73,
- Rob W7GH
Partner
Idiom Press