[TowerTalk] Mounting a 1032 Tic Ring to a HDX-689

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mounting a 1032 Tic Ring to a HDX-689
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 02:08:03 -0800
gents

Has anybody managed to mount a 1032 tic ring to a HDX-689  tower ?     I know
it can be done... seen the new mounting scheme.
Here's the part I don't get.    My remote switch box  will be on the mast.
Then one feed line will have to go down the side of the tower to the yagi on
the tic ring.

When tower is retracted.... the excess slack  will have to pass through...
BETWEEN the tower.. and the ID of the tic ring.

Even with a 6" diam  piece of pvc pipe , say 3' long   [mounted vertical]
located between  tower and ring... the cable could easily get tangled in
either the 1032 gear teeth... or the tower itself...esp with wind blowing.

In addition,  the main coax that feeds the remote switch box, plus all control
cables, must also pass between ID of tic ring, and the tower.

Any coax, etc, can't pas on the outside of the tic ring.. cuz  the lower yagi
on the ring, rotates 360 deg.. and will wrap all the coax around
the tower.

I have 2 x 1032 tic rings... and they will easily mount at the 72' level and
also the 55' level of a HDX-689.  Right now, I'm inclined to

dump any notion of installing a 1032 ring on the 689 motorized crank up.  I
fear it will be a gong show, when trying to retract in high winds
at 2 am.

Even if the yagi on the tic ring  had it's own coax... from the grnd..... that
still leaves the main coax that feeds the remote switch box on top of the
mast...
+ all control cables.

About the only thing I can see remotely working would be to scrap the tic ring,
and mount the lower yagi, via plate, etc... to the side of the tower
say at the 72' level... and leave it fixed in one of  6 x directions.... and
also have it's own coax... coming up from the grnd.  Then no way anything will
get tangled
up, and can still retract.

Am I missing something here ??