Re: [TowerTalk] Field Day Antennas - Multiband Vee-Beam?

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Field Day Antennas - Multiband Vee-Beam?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:20:20 -0700
Hi, Steve.

I've done EZNEC analyses on antennas like that in the past and from what
I remember the maximum lobe gives only about 2 db improvement.  That's
not trivial for DX, but I'd be surprised if it helped much for a Field
Day type of event.  I also seem to remember that at low heights the gain
effect is reduced, so I suspect that you'd get even less than 2 db
benefit on the low bands.

Wow, though ... your antenna restrictions per the rules are pretty
severe.  K7ZB and I used to travel to the Mogollon Rim country of
Arizona (between Flagstaff and the border with New Mexico) that is the
home for the largest forest of Ponderosa Pine trees in the world.  We'd
shoot lines over the tops of 120 to 150 foot tall trees and haul up all
sorts of wire antennas pre-designed (using EZNEC) and pre-built for the
job.  Each year we'd try something different, and in 2000 we put up nine
different antennas for different bands and different directions:

80m  - dipole
40m  - delta loop
40m  - 2 element wire yagi (full size with 20 foot poles for spreaders)
20m  - phased stack of two 2 element wire yagis (an amazing rats nest of
wires that worked great)
20m  - single 2 element yagi
15m  - phased stack of 2 dipoles
10m  - 3 element yagi

I don't even remember what the other two antennas were, but we set an
all time USA record that year for ARRL Field Day 2-op single rig QRP
(broken two years later by an east coast station).

Are you allowed to change the position of the feedpoint during the
contest (multiple selectable feedlines)?  What is the definition of a
"single element" ... does a continuous triangle, for instance, count as
a single element?  Are you allowed to change the dimensions of the
single element during the contest?  There may be some possibilities for
beam shifting by playing around with such things.

Also, what kind of ground conductivity do you have there?  If it is
pretty good, a low vertically fed loop (a sort of squashed rectangle)
might be interesting ... keep one support stationary and move the other.

Best of luck es 73,
Dave   AB7E