[TowerTalk] Cable lubing and High Wind Issues With Crankups

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable lubing and High Wind Issues With Crankups
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 18:41:06 -0700
Another opinion and comment.

Living on the ocean, I have put my trust in the cable riggers who service
the fishing fleet out of the central OR coast port of Newport. They inspect
my cables every year and they recommend LPS2 and LPS3 but state that any
good penetrating lube that has a high immune to water washout is OK.  I've
seen lubed cable (who knows what brand) from some of the fishing fleet boats
that looks terribly rusted on the outside, that when cut, are pristine
inside. The rigger noted that good brand wire cable is well galvanized
through and through and the strand material itself is somewhat corrosion
resistant.The rigger I work with told me to LPS2 for the initial coating and
follow up with LPS3, but he does when the mood fits, use a couple of other
brands too.

As Steve noted, the cables on the crankups (I have 2) are oversized for the
actual load.

And even here where we may see winds up into the 90's at times during the
winter I seldom crank down more than needed (typically to around 2/3 of
available height) to ensure a more rigid tower. Not concerned so much with
something going over or falling off as the looseness between the tower
sections as they move being applied to the beams, giving an amplified soft
whipping action to the elements.

Before moving to the coast I had a TH6 tribander mounted on top of a topped
100 foot fir tree in Portland and my only problem was with the element
whipping that would occur as the tree gently swayed with the winds.  This
swaying was amplified at the antenna elements. After having to repair one or
more of the elements over a couple of years that had broken or cracked I
pulled everything down and went to a rigid crankup and took the tree down
for fireplace wood

Don W7WLL.