[TowerTalk] Rotor Removal

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor Removal
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:13:19 -0700
Good suggestions which I have tucked away in my Good Ideas folder for my
fixed tower when it goes up.

But with the old HyGain HG70HD I'm presently using there is very limited
space between the rotor, the inner alignment plate and the top plate with
the bearing. I have a comealong and even some double pulleys but the space
just doesn't seem to exist to use them.

So far I've been lucky, with a bucket truck and dry weather I've been able
to use a clamp on the mast above the bearing and lift it, as least enough to
get the rotor out. This effort also necessitates getting the inner tower
section up (enough to expose the rotator) and block the section, which has
never made me feel really safe!!!  When the tower is layed over with the
layover fixture it is easier to pull the inner section out or the mast, but
this, for me, is much less desireable than using the bucket truck.  But when
the rains have softened the ground, I don't dare bring the bucket truck in.

Wonder if anyone with a HG70HD has developed a better method for dealing
with this unique (read cruddy) tower rotator setup?

Don W7WLL