Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB-4 bearings, sheared off transverse bolts !!

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB-4 bearings, sheared off transverse bolts !!
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 07:24:46 -0700
Put the part with the sheared bolts into the oven at 450 F  for an
hour.  Aluminum's coefficient of expansion is much more than steel so
that should break them loose.  Drill for the screw extractors first and
make sure they fit tightly.  With oven gloves you might try with the
part still hot or wait for it to cool, put on some real Screw Loose etc.
and give it a go.  Drilling on center and straight is the hard part.

Good hardware stores, Sears, tool suppliers have sets of screw
removers.  Sears also sells a remover set for nuts that have been
buggered.  Using an impact wrench, they worked on my dozer when the nut
was a rusted rounded blob but wear out after a few tough nuts.  They are
safer than burning off the nut and bolt  when big heat is a no-no.

Grant  KZ1W