Re: [TowerTalk] Conversion of MD750

To: "Fred Serota" <fserota@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conversion of MD750
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:22:47 -0700
Fred Serota wrote:
> Anyone have any instructions or parts list for conversion of MD750- from
> 120v as it comes from the factory to 220v?
>
> Would appreciate any information.
>
> Fred, K3BHX

Instead of doing that, I decided it was easier to put
a transformer at the base of the tower to convert 240VAC
back to 120VAC.  The important issue is what voltage is
used to transport the power over distance.  The actual
motor voltage is irrelevant.  I use an old isolation
transformer I got for hauling away.  If you wire the
transformer as an autotransformer, only half the power
goes through the transformer.  This allows a smaller
transformer to work.  All the control relays work on 120VAC
so trying to rewire just the motor is problematical.

Rick N6RK