Re: [TowerTalk] Used Fall Harnesses

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used Fall Harnesses
From: Paul_group <paul_group@greenrover.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:57:00 +0100
On 11/08/2010 00:11, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>>   If I'm not mistaken, OSHA requires an expiration date on  them..
>
> Greetings, TowerTalkians --
>
>      I don't think that's correct. I've sold OSHA  compliant safety
> equipment for almost 20 years (_www.championradio.com_
> (http://www.championradio.com) ) and I've never  seen an expiration date.

UK perspective as an employer of riggers:

Currently the position for PPE is,

fabrics / plastics / mylon parts (such as harnesses / work position
belts / slings)  = Life 5 Years

Metal components = Life 10 years

All those are manufacture dates so if a harness sits in stock for 4
years ... thats a 1 year service life.

All of course require inspection by the (trained) user before each use
and have a yearly inspection regime by a competent person.

Now Petzl and Heightec have just announced that they have extended the
life of their plastic parts to seven years and metal parts to infinite
(till it fails inspection of course) - and it looks like other
manufacturers have had to do the same. I'm still awaiting an answer to
correspondence on that but it looks like it will happen.

Personal perspective:

Would I use a second hand or out of date harness myself, not a chance
but I am in the lucky position to make sure that I always have a good
tested harness.

I'd rather see a ten year old (out of date) harness in occasional use by
a trained amateur than witness the dangerous stuff we see and hear about
( no harness, climbing just using a pole belt, climber tied on with a
bit of old rope etc...) I've seen an on line video of a guy fitting a HF
beam using a nylon lugage strap as a belt.......

Regards Paul

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com