[TowerTalk] ASTM F1554 Anchor Bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ASTM F1554 Anchor Bolts
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:10:23 -0700
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:14:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Bookwalter <n8dcj@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ASTM F1554 Anchor Bolts
To: Dino Darling <dino@kx6d.com>

I checked with Portland Bolt before i sent the email , they have the material
and are quite knowledgeable , however , they weren't too interested in such a
small order of only 3 pieces since they had to manufacture them , didn't say
they wouldn't do it , just that the setup expenses wouldn't make it very cost
effective for me.

##  I required  12 x anchor rods...  1.125"  diam  x 60"  long...with 6" threads
on each end.  [105 ksi].   Local fastener outfit  just orders em from portland
bolt.
If I had ordered em on line from portland bolt.. they would have been 30% LESS..
and that including shipping to my door.  They were $90.00  each, from portland
bolt.
Then I had to get the  72 x  massive heavy hex nuts  [ 1  13/16"] + flat
washers etc.
Then had to get the 18 x 1" diam x 3" long  ASTm  A-325 bolts  + mating 1  5/8"
 heavy hex
nuts  + washers.

I called Atlantic Bolt Inc and they have the bolts in stock along with the nuts
and washers , for about $22 each , UST wanted $204 for the three...

## UST these days reminds me of the  $500.00  hammer's  fiasco in the
US,[defence contractor's]
back in the late 70's.   I had my local trucking co stop by the UST factory on
his way
back from bakersfield... to pick me up a 20' x .375" wall, heat treated 4130,
107 ksi
chromolly mast.   You  don't even want to know what that thing cost.  It was
80%  more than
what tashi tower's  charges..for the same thing.  His is actually better, since
it's 120.2 ksi.
[$750.00   vs  $1350.00]

I required a doz  1/4" bolts  for my HDX-6809... used to bolt the rotor and
bearing plates into place.  Now these
things are just G-5 galvanized bolts, with counter sunk heads.  $6.00  each !
And  6  per shelf.   And they are supposed
to support  600 lbs of weight between em =  100 lbs per 1/4"-20  bolt.

later... Jim   VE7RF

Dan N8DCJ