Re: [TowerTalk] HG-52SS

To: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HG-52SS
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:54:16 -0400

> As an aside, how do you find the Skyhawk?  I've never had a HF beam, so
> this is all new to me.
>
> 73 & TNX, Barrie

Barrie:

     The Skyhawk is my first Yagi as well (in 45 years as a Ham.)  It seems
to work as advertised - broad bandwidth on all three bands (below 2:1 on
nearly all of 20 and 15 and below 29 MHz on 10), F/B is appreciable (I've
never actually measured it) and I can bust all but the rarest of DXpedition
pileups barefoot.  The most important feature for me was no adjustments,
that is, you don't have to decide which portion of the band you want the
antenna to operate in.  And I enjoyed putting it together.

     Speaking of which, when you assemble the elements, put all three pop
rivets into the holes before you pop any of them with the tool.  If you
insert one at a time and pop it, the last one might be difficult to insert.
Also, use NoAlOx compound on each telescoping element joint, but sparingly.
I used one piece of Scotchbrite pad to clean the inside and outside of the
respective elements pieces (don't use real steel wool), and a second piece
to rub the NoAlOx into the metal.  Don't use the same piece for both
operations - you'll only rub the dirt from the first cleaning into the fresh
aluminum surface.

     Good luck with the Bencher.  I thoroughly enjoy mine.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F