Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Leasing

To: "Neil & Heather" <neil.goodell@myfairpoint.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Leasing
From: "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@mozarks.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 15:29:49 -0500
As a commercial tower owner, these are the things we look at.  It must be on
a written agreement.

1.  The leasee MUST have insurance and include you on the certificate.

2.  The leasee must provide a specific list of equipment to be used at the
site.  If they change it, then they should pay more (or less)

3.  We offer NO exclusivity on frequencies, rather we have a FILO policy.
If someone is added to the tower later that interferes with the first
leasee, the newcomer has to fix it immediately, or shut down until it is
fixed.  If they can't fix it, then they move from the tower.  That way the
original leasee is protected, and we are able to lease to others.  Basically
we require people to play well together.  Works so far.

4.  We always provide 24X7 access - but on some of our sites they have to
provide security information beforehand.  A couple of our towers have been
at very sensitive locations where the leasee has to pass background
clearences by DOD beforehand.

5.  Most customers we have pull their own power, but your average WISP has
such a low draw that we don't worry about it.

6.  We require installation to follow best practices as outlined in Motorola
R-56 standards, the "bible" of the commercial tower world.  (Don't let the
Motorola name scare you, these are best practices regardless of the
manufacturer.

7.  We require industry standard safety procedures, such as 100% tie off,
100% of the time.  If one of our people see stupid stuff going on, they can
stop the work right then and there and require it to be corrected.

8.  Haveing a rentor changes your tower in the eyes of zoning and codes.
The protection you enjoy from PRB-1 is out the window.  If the WISP's
installer tells one of their new customers where the tower is, or it gets
out somehow else, someone could raise a stink if you are in an area covered
by zoning or codes.  We have had this happen twice now, once I saw it happen
with a cellular company, the second it was a public safety agency.

Don't take your organs to heaven,
heaven knows we need them down here!