Re: [TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:48:42 +0100
Jim,

You'll not be surprised that I disagree strongly:

1) It is a BalUn - it's a device that interfaces a BALanced load (the
antenna) to an Unbalanced source (radio + coax)

2) If the load is completely balanced with respect to ground, the two
load terminals will be at Vl/2 and -Vl/2 wrt ground, where Vl is the
differential load voltage. A choke having its output connected to that
load, and its input connected to an unbalanced source, will have a
Common-Mode voltage across it of Vl/2

3) Yes, antennas and feedlines are complex structures. So I invite any
readers to model using NEC a perfectly symmetrical dipole plus a braid
path from one side of the feedpoint to ground. Then insert a high
impedance load close to the feedpoint in the braid path and check what
voltage it has across it.

I just tried it with a perfectly symmetrical 20m dipole at a height of
35ft. I placed a 5000 Ohm resistive choke in the braid path at the
feedpoint. Applying 1000W, the differential voltage across the feedpoint
was 265v rms and the voltage across the choke was 135v rms - almost
exactly half, as you would predict for a perfectly balanced antenna.

4) If a choke has no CM voltage across it, the core flows no flux; if
there is no flux you can safely remove the choke and nothing will
change. Does anyone really think that you don't need a choke on the coax
just because the antenna is completely balanced?

73,
Steve G3TXQ