Re: [TowerTalk] Tower removal. Gin Pole or something else?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower removal. Gin Pole or something else?
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:19:22 -0400
On 10/15/2012 6:47 PM, Dan Cisson wrote:
Mike,, I have been doing tower work for almost 30 yrs. First of all,
those Rohn gin poles
are a joke to me...They take too long just to move the pole from one
section to another.(clamps)

Two of us, both in our 60's, me on the tower the other handling ropes, using a ROHN Gin Pole, removed a 2-mete yagi, the big Wilson tribander and had the tower down in less than an hour.

I made my own pole from 2 1/2 inch square aluminum thick wall. I have
hooks that are

I now use a a home made gin pole with leg clamps. It has the capability of extending well above the tower top so I can lift 24' masts and lower them into the tower. I typically attach to the middle of the 24' mast and add a half hitch , 2 to 3 feet above it to keep the mast vertical, so I need at least a 15 foot reach.

Yes, it works easier with two clamps if only one person is working at the time, but ... To lower (or raise) a single clamp pole, I add a pulley to the top of the current section, slide the pole down in the clamp, hook the rope from the pulley to the clamp, release the clamp, the person on the ground holding the rope, lowers the clamp to the next section, I attach the clamp and then go back up a bit less than 10 feet to move the pulley down to the top of the section to which the Gin Pole is attached.

10 minutes a section, including moving the Gin Pole leaves a comfortable margin...IF EVERYTHING IS READY ahead of time.

Yes, using hooks would be far easier, but I would add a simple safety to prevent the pole from being lifted accidentally.

BTW, I've never had to pull a section down. They tend to want to go that way as soon as they are clear of the tower<:-))

OTOH I'd not recommend the Gin Pole approach for those who are not in good shape and accustomed to tower climbing. Also make certain to use proper safety equipment including a full body harness with fall arrest.

73

Roger (K8RI)

bolted to the base of the pole. My pole will fit Rohn 25, 45, and 55
without any adjustments.
The hooks utilize the angles of the tower.,,so that when in position to
lift up a section,,the
pole can not move laterally at all cause the hooks are riding down the
angles. It is critical
that the hooks bottom out at the same time to eliminate slop. ...So,,
with this situation, I
can send a section to the ground, lift up the pole and set it on the top
of the second section
down, and the rope will be thru the pulley atop the pole and tied off 1
foot down from
the top of the section I am removing.  My gin poles are 14 ft long. So
to get you the proper picture,,
when I send down a section,, if you looked up,, there would be 10 ft of
gin pole above
the tower,,and 4 ft attached to the top of the tower---then I have to
move it down and do it
all over again.  I can move my gin pole one handed.--there are no
clamps. I could send you some
pics if you like... Dan  N4GNR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Lyon" <mike.lyon@gmail.com>