[TowerTalk] Antenna switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna switch
From: Keith Hanson <ac9s@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:54:00 -0500
I had a cheap Ameritron RCS-8 at about 80'  for approximately 25 years with no
problems.  It was working well well when I replaced it with a much more
expensive DX Engineering unit.  The old Ameritron was really rusty on the
bottom, but inside it looked like new.  It might have soldiered on for another
10 years before failing, but I was in a spendy mood.  Note, I had no lightning
protection in or on the unit.  I practice "safe Hamming" and disconnect all
stations connections including AC and the computer if I am not actually using
it.  I have had 4 close strikes, including one house fire.  Luckily I was at
home and had a trial by fire with the extinguisher.  Big pucker factor that
time.  Anyway, all my antennas came through all four near misses in fine shape
and the old Ameritron never missed a beat.
KeithAC9S