Re: [TowerTalk] storm static

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] storm static
From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 10:53:07 -0500
When ever a storm is approaching my station you can hear a bowl (kings size bowl) of rice krispies up on top of the tower.

I have a F12 C31 and a F12 D240 and the elements are insulated from the boom. My guess is that I'm getting arcing from the elements to the boom.

I'm still working on my grounding. I have the coax bonded to the tower at the top and will do the same soon at the base of the tower. The cables are run in conduit to the shack where I have a bulk head (aluminum panel) mounted to the wall of my shop. The coax cables are attached to the bulk head via PolyPhaser devices. The bulk head is grounded via a 8' ground rod as well as it being bonded to the metal structure of my shop. My electrical panel in the shop is also grounded to the building and ground rod.

I plan on using a group of Anderson Power Poles for a quick disconnect for my rotor cables. The rotor cable will also be grounded at the base of the tower with one of these that I picked up from Array Solutions last week http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/surge_arrestor.htm

I have more ground rods to put it in so its a work in progress.

Rich - N5ZC