Re: [TowerTalk] ICOM AH-4 Antenna Options...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICOM AH-4 Antenna Options...
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:32:31 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 6/16/2014 10:25 PM, Dino Darling wrote:
My question is, what experience do you have using an auto tuner/coupler
and different antenna configurations (dipole, OCF, long wire, etc). Any
recommendations? Getting into the attic for multiple tests will be
difficult so I'm looking for a solid starting point!

REPLY:

I had your situation some years ago and I found simple parallel dipoles worked fine. No tuner needed if you run the dipoles at a good angle from each other, at least 20 degrees or so. Got DXCC with that setup with just 100 watts.

And by the way, you don't need to "ground" your system at all, other than the third wire on the AC plug for safety reasons. A 60 foot ground wire is no ground at all because of standing waves. And even if you could, you don't want to run any of your precious RF through dirt. RF energy is expensive to generate and dirt is lossy at RF. Keep your RF up in the air where it belongs. :-)

73, Bill W6WRT
dezrat@outlook.com